Painting the brick can be an excellent way to boost the curb appeal of your home. The brick paintwork as a sealant to protect the surface from perceptions and other issues. It can protect the structure from seasonal weather changes as well as resist the growth of stains, mold & mildew, and other substances. Painting the brick also makes it easier for you to clean them.
Brick paints are different from the usual wall paints. Selecting the best brick paint can be a little tricky if you don’t have any previous idea about it. However, don’t worry. In today’s write up, we will introduce you to the best brick paint available in the market currently. We will also provide you with some vital information to make your painting job easier.
Best Brick Paint Reviews 2020
Check out the detailed reviews of our selected best brick paint. These products have been picked based on our in-depth research considering various aspects of the product. We thoroughly considered the paint ingredients, quality, and durability of the paint along with the previous customer reviews. Here is the detailed information about the paints that you should know:
1. Romabio Masonry Flat, Italian Mineral Paint
The Romabio is one of the best brick paint manufacturers of the current times. As per the manufacturer, they have combined 2000 years old technique and modern technology to bring out revolutionary products. The Romabio Masonry Flat, Italian Mineral Paint, can suits best for your exterior wall bricks to create an aesthetically beautiful appearance. Apart from the bricks, the paint is also suitable for stucco, stone, and cementitious siding.
The Romabio Masonry Flat, Italian Mineral Paint, creates a flat finish that is naturally mold resistant, environment friendly, and free from toxin. It is a high-quality mineral paint that is extremely durable both for interior and exterior masonry. The paint can create a breathable coating which can calcify in the masonry surface for letting the moisture to escape. More so, it creates two coats, and you will not require any additional primer for porous and unpainted masonry.
The Romabio Masonry Flat, Italian Mineral Paint, arrives with a great twenty years warranty when applied correctly. There are no chances of peel, chip, or flake off. You can easily apply the paint using the roller, sprayer, or brush. In the case of touch up, you can easily clean with soap and water. The paint arrives with multiple certifications that ensure it is organic, natural, and reliable. It is one of the best brick paint that you can select without any hesitation.
- Toxin-free, environment-friendly, and naturally mold resistant brick paint.
- It is made of minerals to ensure high-performance and durability.
- Produce breathable coating that allows the moisture to escape.
- Easy to apply using brush, sprayer, or roller.
- It can be used for stone, stucco, cementitious siding, along with the brick.
- It is backed by twenty years warranty when applied correctly.
- Cradle to cradle certified A+ French VOC emissions with HPD.
2. Romabio Classico Limewash Interior/Exterior Paint
The Romabio Classico Limewash Interior/Exterior Paint is another excellent brick paint product from our favourite manufacturer, Romabio. The authentic slaked-lime paint is specially formulated that allows you to distress it instantly. One of the notable properties of the brick paint is it can keep the warmth if brick exposed. It can be an excellent choice for the unpainted bricks or stone of your house.
The Romabio Classico Limewash Interior/Exterior Paint is straightforward to use. If you are thinking about DIY the painting process, then the product will be an excellent choice for you. The one coat paint can be applied with a traditional paint sprayer. However, as per the manufacturer, you can use the Romabio Large Masonry Brush for a better result.
One of the remarkable things about the Romabio Classico Limewash Interior/Exterior Paint is it can be removed within the first five days. That means if you are not pleased with the result, then you can easily wash it way. It offers you superior coverage around 325 to 450ft on every gallon after dilution. Like the previous product, this one is also biodegradable, ensuring the safety of your home after using it.
- Authentic slaked-lime paint, specially formulated for easier distressing.
- It is made of organic ingredients, entirely safe for the environment.
- Suitable for both interior and exterior unpainted brick and stone.
- Easy to apply with one coating procedure by traditional paint sprayer.
- It can be removed easily within five days if the result is not adequate.
- Superior coverage up to 325-450 ft2 on a gallon after dilution.
3. Brick-Anew All-in-One Brick Fireplace Paint Kit
The Brick-Anew All-in-One Brick Fireplace Paint Kit arrives in a frosted sunshine colour that can offer an impressive appearance. It is a combination of tan, grey, and yellowish-cream that can create bold and complementary colors fill in your room. The light and gentle colour combination can be an excellent choice for your fireplace brick painting. It is also available in two different colors that include twilight taupe.
One of the impressive things about Brick-Anew arrives with all the necessary tools for painting the fireplace bricks. It even includes a video tutorial to make the entire procedure easier for you. A single kit can cover around approximately 60 square feet of brick. For significant areas around 60 to 80 square feet, you will need one extra-base coat sealer for areas around 100 to 120 sq. Feet, you will need one extra paint kit.
You can apply Brick-Anew All-in-One Brick Fireplace Paint Kit on both previously pointed brick and unpainted brick. It can work on almost all types of brick. As per the manufacturer, the product comes as pre-tested, and it doesn’t include any harsh chemicals or fumes. If you want to DIY the paint of your fireplace, then the product can be an excellent choice for you as it arrives with all the necessary things.
- Produce impressive frosted sunshine finish that is bold and complementary.
- Arrives with all the required tools or kit for convenient usage.
- One kit can cover around 60 square feet of brick.
- It can be utilized for both new and previously painted bricks.
- Keep the texture, look, and feel of the brick the same.
- Comes as pre-tested from the manufacturer.
- Do not include any harsh chemicals or fumes in the ingredients.
4. Color Atelier Lime Paint (Quart, Grey Suede)
The Color Atelier Lime Paint is another excellent and authentic slaked limewash paint that you can select for your house. The color becomes matte and velvet-like finish, along with natural color variations and subtle movements. It is manufactured from the USA, ensuring that the highest quality natural ingredients are used. As per the manufacturer, it doesn’t contain any VOC or toxic formula, leaving a safe environment in your house.
The Color Atelier Lime Paint arrives with a unique formulation that allows you to use it for both exterior and interior. If you can apply it with the Prep Coat of the manufacturer, it can be polished for better shine like a plaster finish. You can use it as a wash or full strength, depending on the desired finish, as it is 100% dilutable. You will get an organic, durable, mildew, and mold resistant if appropriately applied.
The Color Atelier Lime Paint can be applied on masonry, brick, prepared plaster, and previously painted surface. It is advised to utilize the paint with a lime paintbrush in X-strokes for a better result. However, you can also apply it with a multi-directional pattern. Based on the application and surface, one gallon of the painting can cover around 400 square feet of area. If required, you can prime the drywall as well as the previously painted walls with the Matter Primer Prior from the manufacturer.
- Authentic slacked limewash paint for interior and exterior.
- Dries to a velvet-like finish with subtle movement and natural colour variation.
- Produce a soft patina of traditional Mediterranean lime paint.
- Ensure breathable, durable, mold, and mildew resistant finish.
- It can be applied as a wash or full strength for the desired finish.
- It can be applied on plaster, masonry, brick, and previously painted surfaces.
- Manufacturer in the USA, Pre-tinted, and easy to apply.
5. KILZ Restoration Maximum Stain and Odor Blocking Interior Latex Primer/Sealer
The KILZ Restoration Maximum Stain and Odor Blocking Interior Latex Primer/Sealer are an of the bestselling paint that you can select for your brick. Apart from the brick, it can be used on drywall, plaster, and masonry, woodwork, painted metal, glass, ceramic tile, and most of the glossy surface. It is basically a water-based primer that can perform like a shellac-based or traditional oil-based primer. The paint can cover around 300 to 400 square feet per gallon.
The KILZ Restoration Maximum Stain and Odor Blocking Interior Latex Primer/Sealer can also work as a stain blocker and sealer. When compared with the other paints, it uses new technology that is formulated to work like an oil-based product. The formula is a totally low odour, non-combustible, and non-flammable. It dries within 30 minutes of application, and you can recoat it within one hour. If required, you can easily wash it away with soap and water.
The KILZ Restoration Maximum Stain and Odor Blocking Interior Latex Primer are designed to offer you a long-lasting performance. It can tackle any rough stains, including rust, smoke, nicotine, tannin, grease, pencil, ink, pet stains, felt marker, and substantial water damage. You can easily utilize it using a roller, brush, or airless sprayer. Make sure that the surface is free of grease, dust, rust, chalk, mold, and peeling paint before applying.
- Brick pant also works with sealer, primer, and stain blocker.
- Resist tough stains, including damage, rust, smoke, nicotine, grease, tannin, ink, etc.
- Can be used for different surface including brick, drywall, glass, masonry, and others.
- One gallon can cover around 300 to 400 square feet per gallon.
- Low in odour, non-flammable, non-combustible.
- It takes around thirty minutes to dry and one hour for recoating.
6. KILZ Premium High-Hide Stain Blocking Interior/Exterior Latex Primer/Sealer
The KILZ Premium High-Hide Stain Blocking Interior/Exterior Latex Primer/Sealer is another high-performance brick paint from the manufacturer, KILZ. It arrives with a powerful water-based formula that can seal a lot of surfaces along with the bricks. The paint can provide excellent adhesions on the different interior and exterior surfaces as well as hide stains and previous colours. It is manufactured from the United States, ensuring you the highest quality.
As it offers excellent adhesions in most of the surfaces, you can use the paint on drywall, woodwork, paneling, masonry, etc. along with the brick. It can be an excellent choice for high-humidity areas like laundry rooms and bathrooms. Apart from painting, you can also use it for sealing stains, colour changes, minimizing surface imperfections caused by porosity texture different and porosity difference. You can cover around 300 to 400 square feet with every gallon.
The KILZ Premium High-Hide Stain Blocking Interior/Exterior Latex Primer/Sealer arrives with the right consistency to ensure a smooth and level finish. It can also offer excellent performance when it comes to filling the small imperfections and porous surfaces. The paint also features mildewcide protection to resist mold and mildew. It has a very low odor and VOCs, ensuring the safety of using in-home and workspaces.
- Robust water-based stains are blocking paint offer uniform finish.
- Arrives with excellent adhesions, suitable for both exterior and interior surfaces.
- It offers the right consistency to ensure a smooth finish and seals.
- Effectively seal the porous surface and hide the small imperfections.
- It can be used on drywall, woodwork, plaster, panelling, masonry, and brick.
- One gallon can cover around 300 to 400 square feet per gallon.
Type of Paint to Use On Exterior Brick
Generally, there are two types of paint used in the exterior brick, which are elastomeric paint and acrylic latex paint. We will describe them briefly below:
Acrylic Latex Paint
The word latex means rubber. However, a lot of latex paints nowadays arrive with resins instead of the rubber. Acrylic latex paint is a water-based paint that comes with a lot of advantages when compared to oil-based paints. As it includes no or little oil, it doesn’t require any cleaning solvents. You can easily clean the brushes, sprayers, pans, etc. used for painting with water.
Some other amazing benefits of acrylic latex paint include color retention, flexibility, breathability, superior adhesions, opacity, and washability. The drawbacks of the paint include less adhesion in the shiny or glossy surface, rustiness, etc. Latex paint is generally cost less when compared to the other variants.
The Elastomeric Paint is like the usual paints, but they are more reliable. As a result, such types of paints are considered an excellent choice for better durability and flexibility. Elastomeric Paint can be used on different surfaces apart from the exterior and interior brick, including masonry, wood, concrete surface. As the name suggests, the paint includes elastic properties that mean excellent adhesion and better durability.
If you are going to apply the paint in the wood siding or logs, then you will require to be a little extra cautious. You have to make sure that there is no breach in the paint, as it can let the moisture enter the wood. Moisture can cause decay in the surface as well as allows mold growth and other damages. Nowadays, there is some hybrid elastomeric paint available that also combines the property of the acrylic latex paint.
What to consider before you paint brick
Painting the brick is a significant home improvement project that requires a lot of effort and time, along with a reasonable budget. There are some necessary aspects that you should consider before painting the brick. Below, we will discuss the critical considerations that you should make before painting the brick.
- Brick paintings are mostly permanent. That means you simply cannot go back to the unpainted brick. However, you may change the colour as much as you want by repainting. So, make up your mind before painting the brick.
- You must remove the water damage such as peeling paint, damp spots, mold growth, etc. from the brick before painting. If you paint without cleaning these substances, water may trap inside the structure and cause moisture. It can make the paint peel off and develop hairline cracks quickly. Clean and dry the bricks properly before painting.
- Though the painted brick is easier to clean, you may need to clean them more often. That is because the paints usually attract more dust and debris. More, the mold and mildews also look very ugly on the painted bricks when compared to the unpainted brick.
- You must take proper maintenance of the surface after painting. Repainting should be done regularly to prevent premature degradation in the structure.
- Select the right colour depending on the painting of the floors and walls surrounding the brick structure. Selecting the right color is essential to make sure that the appearance will be impressive.
How to Paint Brick the Right Way
Painting the brick is a little bit complex when compared to the usual painting. You can rely on the below-mentioned steps to paint the brick correctly:
Clean and Prepare the Brick
The first thing you require to do is prefer the brick for the painting. You should give a tight clean so that all the dirt and efflorescence come off. You can use soapy water along with a stiff-bristled brush for the cleaning. Or, if you have access to a pressure cleaner, then you can use it for a thorough clean. If there are any molds or mildew, then you can apply one part blech and three-part bleach solution to get rid of it. Make sure to scrub the area with a wire brush after applying the solution.
Never uses any solution that includes acidic formula as it may have an impact on your paint job. After cleaning the bricks, leave them for a while for drying and acclimating. It is essential if the bricks are installed recently.
Apply the Primer
Use a roller, brush, or paint sprayer to apply a coating of the latex primer on the surface you want to paint. You should put an additional coat on the sections that are affected by the mildew or efflorescence most. Then leave the area for a while for drying before moving to the next step.
Select the Paint
The step is essential. Depending on the types of brick and the area, select a paint that will suit adequately. If you have a high budget, then you can go for the elastodynamic paint as they offer you long-term, durable, and weather-resistant performance. Else, you can go for the usual acrylic latex paint. Make sure to select the right color that will suit you adequately. In case, they can be a better choice for the exterior surface as they offer better protection against mold and mildew and evaporate moisture better.
Applying the Paint
You can either use a brush, roller, or sprayer for the painting. However, a paint sprayer will be the best for this purpose for a smoother application. If you are planning to use the sprayer, then make sure that you are using the one that arrives with thick nap. Cover the whole area you want to paint and leave it for a while for drying. Depending on the paint you have chosen, it will take a period to become stable.
Frequently Asked Questions about Brick Painter (FAQs)
Here is the answer to some of the common questions that arrives in your mind while selecting the brick painter.
What kind of paint to use on the exterior brick?
For the exterior brick, you should go for a high-quality acrylic latex paint with self-primes and water-repelling properties. They need to be capable of resisting mold and mildews. They should be durable to withstand severe weather and protect against fading, peel, and cracks.
What is the best paint for an exterior brick?
You can select any of the paints mentioned above for exterior brick, depending on your budget and color preference. The exterior bricks require arriving with some additional properties, as we discussed above. The brick exterior paints mentioned with the required features.
What is the best colour to paint brick?
As we said earlier, you should go for a colour that will match with the other nearby structures and walls. Some of the famous brick color combinations include charcoal with light grey, soft yellow with cream, sage green with taupe, forest green with black, and vibrant green with grey.
Brick paints should become easier to select now after reading the above reviews. You should find a suitable paint for the bricks as per your budget and preferences from the list. You can go for any of the mentioned best brick paint without any further thoughts. We assure you that you will be amazed at the end result.